Supporting the ACT
20th April 2020
The ACT government is delivering a $351 million economic survival package to support the ACT community in dealing with the impacts of COVID-19.
Businesses impacted by COVID-19 in the ACT can now access a number of support services. These include:
- Business Liaison Team: A dedicated team has been created to assist businesses understand what support is available to them through the ACT Economic Survival Package. The number businesses can call is: (02) 6205 0900.
- Advice and Support Service: ACT small businesses can receive up to four hours of fully subsidised, tailored advice and access online business development resources provided by the Canberra Business Chamber. You can make a booking with this service by calling (02) 6297 3121.
- Food & liquor licensing fees: There are a number of fee waivers being introduced including waivers that apply to off licenced venues, licensed venues and for those businesses that incur fees for outdoor dining. These waivers will be implemented automatically to qualifying businesses by either Access Canberra or Health Protection Services as part of their normal licencing process.
- Other Fee Waivers: The government will also waive fees for 12 months from 1 April 2020 for businesses that require an infection control licence. This will also be implemented automatically by Health Protection Services as part of their normal licencing process.
- Construction Industry: Businesses in the construction industry can defer their payroll tax liability for the six months from April to September 2020 to provide cashflow assistance to help them retain workers. For more information and to access the deferral visit: www.revenue.act.gov.au/payroll-tax/construction-industry-deferral
- Electricity Rebate: Small business owners with electricity usage below 100 megawatts per year will have a $750 rebate automatically applied to their next electricity bill. This is expected to be implemented in June/July 2020.
- Payroll tax: All ACT businesses with Australia-wide wages of up to $10 million can defer their 2020-21 payroll tax, interest free until 1 July 2022. For more information visit: https://www.revenue.act.gov.au/payroll-tax
For more information on the ACT Economic Survival Package visit www.covid19.act.gov.au/economic-support/economic-survival-package
The above information is a brief summary only and does not take into account your personal needs and is not a substitute for independent professional advice. We strongly recommend that you speak to your accountant as they will be able to provide you the most suitable advice for your individual circumstance and to ensure that you are also always receiving the most up to date information.